Thursday, May 2, 2013

RIP Jeff Hannemen (Jan. 31, 1964 – May 2, 2013)



Jeff left the world today due to a liver failure. While the world is in grief about its huge loss, I wanna share what Slayer meant to me.  In my early years of High School, I was a closed minded Punk Rock douchebag. Little by little I would give Metal a chance (and love it). First off With Danzig and Motorhead (for its punk roots) then eventually stuff like Sabbath and Maiden. 

After REALLY getting into Crossover Thrash like D.R.I., Suicidal Tendencies, and Municipal Waste - that stuff made love the combination of both genres - I eventually decided to check out the Thrash Metal classics.When I was getting tired of just listening to Punk Rock and was hanging with dudes that loved Metal, they showed me bands I would never have bothered  listening to. Metallica, Testament, Megadeth,etc. All those bands ruled but SLAYER was the one that stood out to me the most. The satanic lyrics,the speedness, the punk influence, the howling screams, the harshness, etc. I can just go on and on. Reign in Blood was the first album I listened to and today it's considered one of Heavy Metal's best. 

After listening to all of their discography, Show No Mercy became my favorite and still is to this day my favorite Metal album ever. There'd be days where I'd listen to Slayer all day long cause of how pissed I was at shit. At school, I'd write SLAYER on answers I didn't know and draw pentagrams all over that test. I remember getting my Slayer ticket for Xmas and being so stoked. And even though they were Balcony tix I still managed to sneak down to the front row for Slayer. 

Slayer defiantly changed my life and other kids all over the pissed off angst world. No one knows right now what the future holds for Slayer. I'm honestly hoping for a farewell tour with Gary Holt (duh) and then them calling it quits. But one things for sure Jeff was  VERY important to the band and to the Metal genre in general. But my opinion doesn't matter, what matters is today we lost an important dude we've never met but still changed our lives. Thanks for the music Jeff, it still means a lot to me. 

FUCKIN' SLLLLLLAAAAAYYYYYYEEEERRRRR!!!!!!!!

No comments: